Monday, September 8, 2008

A THOUSAND RED BIRDS


When I first got saved, I had a wonderful preacher who could bottom line anything. When I ask him how much faith I needed to be healed, he didn't give me the usual, "faith as of a grain of mustard seed", scripture. He looked at me squarely in the eye and said, "You need to worry about putting whatever amount of faith you have into action, it will be enough". I though of him when I saw this poem below. It doesn't matter how much faith you have if you don't use it. Activate your faith. Faith in motion is an awesome thing.


A THOUSAND RED BIRDS

We clutch our tiny bits of faith in tight fists
shoved firmly in our pockets.
We clutch it suspiciously, so unwilling to let it go
we don’t want to lose it.
We clutch it fearing that once it is spent,
we will be without hope,
cast adrift, out of luck.
Help us loosen our grip.
Help us to pull our hands out of our pockets.
Help us to uncurl our fingers stiffened over time.
to grow,
to shimmer,
to pulse,
to explode into the air
like a thousand red birds.

By Phil Porter

12 comments:

Alexandra MacVean said...

Beautiful post today. I needed to read this. My faith has defintely been tried with all my health issues, along with other things we've been battling every since I've been home. Thank you for following what you heart speaks to post.

Nicole said...

Thanks for this....great post!

Nicole

God Chaser said...

wonderful thanks for sharing this lesson on faith

Chanda said...

Hello Eve, Nice to meet you. Thanks for stopping by and saying hello. I do wish you could taste of the tomatoes. They are really different and very good. They have almost no acid and very sweet. Old heirloom seeds always make the best veggies. I wish I could stay and visit longer but I have so much work to be done today. I need to freshen up my mail box garden really bad. It is looking pretty shabby at this point and I want to plant some fresh mums. Have a very good day,
Shanda

Sonya Lee Thompson said...

This was a good poem. Thought provoking. Loved the pic., too! I love birds.

Sonya

Edie said...

I love this - Faith in Action. Yes that's the way God intended it. Thanks for the beautiful reminder.

Debra said...

I adore this poem. I'm going to read it again. Thank you so much!
Love, Debra

Julie said...

Beautiful post...poem and picture! I many times feel like my light is hidden...selfishly.

Betty said...

Very true. Faith without action is nothing.

Alexandra MacVean said...

I hope you're doing well. May your day today be filled with lotsa love and smiles. **hugs**

Renna said...

Faith is like a muscle. We are all given one, but some of us exercise it and it grows larger. Others let theirs lie dormant, unused, and it withers.

Great poem, Eve!

vikki said...

great poem & post. love it with the pic. wonderful way to put faith as a priority ~ we can not be without it. hugs & blessings, vikki ♥